Saturday, August 11, 2007

Make the 1st Man's Family Part of Your Own

One of the most important things that has enable me to work well with Austin Gardner, is the relationship I have with the rest of his family. I have been close friends with Chris since before I ever started working with Jefe. When all his children lived at home, I fought with his daughters just as if they were my own sisters, and David, his youngest son, is definitely like the little brother I never had. And let’s not forget his wife, Ms. Betty, she definitely corrects me enough to where I think she's my mom.

If you are going to have a good working relationship with your 1st man, you have to have a good family relationship with his family. It would be difficult for Jefe to spend time with me if his family didn’t feel comfortable around me.

This isn’t something that comes along easily. Just like all good relationships you have to work at them to make them stronger. Sometimes you have to be forgiving, sometimes you have to be understanding, and sometimes you have to be loving and caring. You can't carry your feelings around on your shoulders, and you definitely can't hoard up bitterness or anger in your heart.

It's easy to get a bad attitude against they pastor’s kids sometimes. I know because I am married to one. You have to accept people for who they are and do everything that is possible to build a strong relationship with them. They get the bad rap of being able to get away with everything just because their dad is the pastor, but you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Don't stereotype their kids. Love them as your own family.

You should always be considerate of your 1st man’s wife especially. You should treat her as good or better than you do your own mom. You should respect her, talk good about her, defend her when someone is being critical, and make sure you are just as loyal to her as you are to the 1st man.

His children should not be threatened by your presence. They should know that you aren’t going to do anything to hurt their family and that they can trust you 100%. You should be someone they can confide in and trust to be there when they need someone.

I don't care how talented and helpful you are. If you aren't like by the 1st man's family, your job is short lived.

No comments: