Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Die to Self!

1Co 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. This is a principle for all to learn if they want to be used by God, but it is impossible to be a 2nd man if you don’t die to your fleshly desires on a daily basis.

I can remember playing soccer in high school. It was the only sport that I felt comfortable enough in to try out for. It worked out that I made the first string my senior year, and I wasn't the best player in the world but I was okay. I can remember asking this girl I like to come and watch me play so I could show off my skills. I would have to say that was the worst I played all year. I focused on impressing instead of playing for the team.

I have found that in the ministry if I focus on me, and not the team, things go wrong. If we are going to build the kingdom we have to stop thinking about what is going to make us look good, but what is the best for the team.

I first went to Peru, South America planning on being the main church planter, but realized that what we needed was someone to stand beside "Jefe" and help him to accomplish more. I set aside my goals and said I am willing to be in the background. Die to wanting to be number one.

See if God may have you stand behind another man of God. Don't worry about getting the glory, fame, recognition, or credit. Work to help someone else get all those things and work to glorify the Lord.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen Bro. Coffey,

This is such a wonderful truth. If we could all truly grasp this, it would be amazing what we could accomplish for the Glory of God. We should adopt the mindset of John the Baptist and have that humble spirit that we must decrease that Christ might increase. Keep up the good work and may the Lord continue to bless your work for Him.

Bro. Shane Clements

Karuna said...

Wow, such a wonderful truth so simply explained.

Thank you