Monday, August 6, 2007

Be Committed!

In I Kings 19:21 Elisha made a commitment to be Elijah’s 2nd man. (1Ki 19:21) And he returned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slew them, and boiled their flesh with the instruments of the oxen, and gave unto the people, and they did eat. Then he arose, and went after Elijah, and ministered unto him.

He literally burned his bridges. If you know the Lord has called you to be the 2nd man, make a commitment. Don’t turn back on the decision.

During the hard times the only thing that will keep you from throwing in the towel will be the commitment you made. There will be times of discouragement, times of frustration, and times of second guessing. Things always look and sound better in that other place of ministry.

I can remember being in Peru thinking that I missed the United States and then I would visit the United States and say I really miss being in Peru. Now I live in the states and I sometimes think it would be better in Peru. I can't go by my feelings. I have to go by what God has called me to and how I committed to that.

Elisha was a faithful 2nd man. He followed Elijah every where, even when it seemed like Elijah was trying to get rid of him. Just imagine if Elijah would have been able to run Elisha off, Elisha would never have received the double portion.

Jefe and I have a good relationship but there are times when he is frustrated at me, mad at me, fussing at me, and tired of me. I could carry my feelings on my shoulders and say, "I don’t deserve that. I’m going to work somewhere else." Yes I could do that and miss my double portion. I don’t know if I will ever become the 1st man like Elisha became, but I definitely don’t want to miss what God has waiting for me.

You can change your life every time it gets tough but success will never be a part of your life.

I know it makes Jefe's job a little easier knowing that no matter what, he has someone in his corner. Imagine the strength of our churches if every pastor knew there was a person along side of him that he could count on. There is security knowing that your 2nd man isn't going to leave no matter how offended, how mad, how hurt, or how unappreciated he is.

Many double portions have been passed over because of the lack of commitment.

No comments: